Current:Home > StocksKyle Larson expected to return to Indianapolis 500 for another shot at ‘The Double’ in 2025 -Capitatum
Kyle Larson expected to return to Indianapolis 500 for another shot at ‘The Double’ in 2025
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:20:16
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) — Hendrick Motorsports and Arrow McLaren Racing scheduled a Tuesday afternoon news conference in which they are expected to announce Kyle Larson will run the Indianapolis 500 again in 2025.
Larson told The Associated Press last week he wanted to run the race again, talks were ongoing, and a decision could be imminent. The initial deal was for two years but 2025 was an option and Hendrick Motorsports had a three-month window to make the decision.
“I would love to because I didn’t get to do ‘The Double’ this year. So that’s really why I wanted to do it,” Larson told the AP last week. “I obviously wanted to compete in the Indianapolis 500, but more than anything, I wanted to do ‘The Double’ and have a chance at winning one of the two, or both, and I felt like I just didn’t get that opportunity.”
Larson was a star at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May, where he qualified fifth but a late-race speeding penalty took him out of contention and he finished 18th. An hours-long rain delay in Indianapolis pushed the Hendrick camp into leaving Larson at the 500 and they would deal with the Coca-Cola 600 in Concord, North Carolina, later.
Except by the time Larson arrived in North Carolina, the 600 had been stopped by rain and never resumed. He never turned a lap, received zero points for the event, and it took a prolonged dispute between Hendrick officials and NASCAR before NASCAR granted Larson a waiver to participate in the playoffs despite missing a race.
In the end, missing the 600 did cost Larson as he fell a single point short of beating Tyler Reddick for NASCAR’s regular-season championship — a title worth 15 additional playoff points. Larson could use those points after an early crash Sunday in NASCAR’s playoff opener erased almost his entire lead in the Sprint Cup standings.
Initially the points leader at the start of Sunday’s race at Atlanta, Larson plummeted to 10th in the standings. Four drivers will be eliminated from the 16-driver playoff field following the Sept. 21 race at Bristol Motor Speedway.
NASCAR races this Sunday on the road course at Watkins Glen, New York.
The Tuesday news conference at Charlotte Motor Speedway has multiple participants listed, including Larson, Hendrick team owner Rick Hendrick and McLaren chief executive officer Zak Brown, who was flying in from London earlier Tuesday.
It is understood by the AP that in negotiating Larson’s return to Indianapolis, Hendrick officials ensured NASCAR that the Coca-Cola 600 would be the priority event and Larson would not miss it again.
___
AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing
veryGood! (61926)
Related
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Could Milton become a Category 6 hurricane? Is that even possible?
- Sally Field recounts her 'horrific' illegal abortion in video supporting Kamala Harris
- Georgia wide receiver arrested on battery, assault on unborn child charges
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Why did Jets fire Robert Saleh? Record, Aaron Rodgers drama potential reasons for ousting
- An unusual hurricane season goes from ultra quiet to record busy and spawns Helene and Milton
- Oregon strikes an additional 302 people from voter rolls over lack of citizenship proof
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Lunds & Byerlys' Lone Star Dip recalled due to 'potential mold growth contamination'
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Jason Kelce Has Most Supportive Reaction to Taylor Swift Arriving at Travis Kelce's NFL Game
- Defendant pleads no contest in shooting of Native activist at protest of Spanish conquistador statue
- NFL Week 5 winners, losers: What's wrong with floundering 49ers?
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Jason Kelce Claps Back at Critics Saying Travis Kelce's Slow Start on Chiefs Is Due to Taylor Swift
- Texas governor offers $10K reward for information on fugitive accused of shooting chief
- From prepped to panicked: How different generations feel about retirement
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Oklahoma amends request for Bibles that initially appeared to match only version backed by Trump
Harris calls Trump ‘incredibly irresponsible’ for spreading misinformation about Helene response
From prepped to panicked: How different generations feel about retirement
Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
States sue TikTok, claiming its platform is addictive and harms the mental health of children
Wildfire fight continues in western North Dakota
Flaming Lips member Steven Drozd's teen daughter goes missing: 'Please help if you can'